Saturday, February 14, 2009

The "T" Word - Trust

Trust (verb)- to believe in the reliability, truth, ability or strength of someone or something; place confidence in

Over the last year I've been learning a lot about trust. It has been an incredible study and journey. I even had the opportunity to teach on trust this last fall. I've asked several people about their thoughts on trust. One of those conversations happened to be with our Director of Student Ministry, DC Curry. He said something that will always stick with me. This won't be an exact quote but it is pretty close!
"I don't use the word trust very often because I take it very seriously. If I'm going to tell someone I trust them, I've got to honestly believe for myself first. I don't know about you, Sarah, but when someone says they trust me, it does something inside me, inside my heart."
He went on to say even more about that but that phrase "it does something inside me" hit me like a slap in the face. He has said it a good number of times. Trust is a very huge thing in my world. When someone says they trust me it hits a deeper part of me.

This week I've had some conversations with my students about trust. Since the beginning of the year I've been reading and studying the Psalms. It just hit me the other day that I had forgotten how often the psalmists talk about trust. It seems to be a popular word in this stage of my life.

Really I have no clue where I'm going with this post. Consider it more of a thinking out loud post. I know there are times I need to learn to trust more. I know there are times I need to check where I'm placing my trust, in me or in God.

I would love to hear some thoughts from the few readers that are left after that last post.
When you hear the word trust does it stir up something in you too?
What have you learned about trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment