Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When Frogs Sing


The St. Joe river from one of my recent hikes.
At the end of a rough day I decided to go hiking and spend some time listening to God. I’m so glad I did because it was an insightful walk.

As I was walking along a marshy area, the tree frogs and bullfrogs were croaking incredibly loud. It was as if they were croaking as loud as they could because they didn’t know when they would be able to tomorrow. It was a beautiful and powerful song they were singing. I stopped to take it all in and noticed after a few minutes the birds had joined the singing.  

I started imagining what the lyrics to their songs might be. I started thinking about how all of creation proclaims the glory of God. These frogs and birds were doing that with such gusto. I wondered if my life was proclaiming the glory of God with the same intensity and intentionality that the birds were singing.

I looked around to take in the scenery and I noticed how bare the trees were. None of them had started budding. There were no signs of new growth anywhere in the underbrush. Everything I saw in the woods seemed to be lifeless, but man those frogs and birds were singing strong.

I thought about the faithful men who finished running their races this year and the challenges the last few months had brought. There is a song ringing out even in the midst of brokenness, a song of hope. That is the song that I want to sing.

“Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth.” Colossians 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment