Saturday, July 07, 2007

Off to camp...

I’m getting ready to load my car and head out to the lake for another week of camp. Here in Vestaburg, everyone knows that is Rock Lake Christian Assembly and no one around here is surprised to hear me say that. Growing up, camp was my second home. I was always there either as a camper, a volunteer, a faculty member or a staff member. Camp was a major influence in my spiritual life and a place where I knew I would be challenged to grow. I haven’t been at the camp for more than a short visit in six years. I am so excited to go back. In honor of my return RLCA I decided I would share some of my favorite camp memories.


-- Playing beach ball baseball in the tabernacle
-- Playing “Get Smart” late at night across the entire campground
-- The massive bonfire Ted build on my last night as a camper (probably the biggest in RLCA history)
-- Corby stealing a chair from tbe Hotel lobby and setting it in the middle of the Tabernacle as we watched “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” on the big screen
-- Numerous friends accepting Christ and being baptized in the lake
-- Raking more goose poop than I ever wanted to on the lakefront after the stupid geese woke me up at 5 every morning
-- Cleaning up a HUGE pan of jello that a volunteer spilled in the walk-in cooler (think about what happens to jello in a cooler!_
-- Making milkshakes, burgers and fries every Friday
-- Meeting this random girl who later moved to V-town and became one of my best friends
-- Being greeting by Hi Gates as you pull up to registration
-- Morning devos with Mary Lou and her cookies
-- Many long talks with Shelly Gates (She had no idea how much I learn from her)

The list goes on and on. But for now, it is off to camp!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment