Sunday, July 01, 2007

Vacation Bible School

VBS always seems to be a week of pure chaos until it is over and you look back at what has happened over the week. This year I was the co-director with my dad even though I’m not sure how I got that position. This meant I didn’t spend much time one-on-one with students but there are a few highlights worth sharing.

Earlier this year, there were two (may be three) little kids who walking by and needed to use the restroom while our custodian was cleaning. While they were there they asked what the building was for and what happened there. After they heard all about church they asked if they could come even if Mom and Dad didn’t. The next Sunday they were there and sat in the front row. They have been there almost every week because they wake themselves up and walk to church together. How awesome is that? Why don’t more adults get that excited and passionate about worshipping together?

When I was in high school I did a lot of baby-sitting for families in the church. One of the families I babysat for has a child, Chester, with Down syndrome. I also subbed for his aide at school a few times because his parents are very particular about who they leave him with. Chester has been one of my buddies every since then. He is 23 now, I think, and was there helping Grandma this week. That meant he pushed in all the chairs, turned lights on and off, emptied the trash and kept everyone else in line. Chet hasn’t had the greatest time the last few years even to the point of wondering if he would make it. He is doing great now and we had a blast singing together this week.

Check out some of our fun students in these pictures.

Vacation Bible School 07

1 comment:

  1. SARAH KOUTZ

    I LOVE YOU...FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE...



    and then some

    ReplyDelete