Thursday, August 24, 2006

Over a cup of coffee...

I'm currently enjoying my weekly visit to Bella Vita's in Granger. They are playing some fantastic jazz right now. Here is what is on my mind...


For you have been called to live in freedom--not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, but freedom to serve one another in love. For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 6:13


I’ve been doing quite a bit of traveling over the last month, which has give me plenty of time to pray, think, process and all that jazz. Within the last 48 hours or so, all of that has lead to a few discoveries about myself, friends, Christ, well just about every aspect of life. Some things have clicked and I understand them more clearly. I love the feeling you get when that happens over and over again in a short period of time.

I don’t really remember when I added the above verse to the top my xanga site, but I remember how I had that verse in my thoughts day and night. It didn’t seem like there was enough time in the day to meditate and chew on it. I don’t recall what was happening in my life at the time, but just this week the verse has returned to the front of my mind. Freedom…freedom to serve one another in love…wow!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been blessed with the opportunity to hang out with several friends that I normally don’t get to see. Many of these opportunities have been spur of the moment with very little planning ahead. If you know me at all, you know that isn’t really the way I work. However I wouldn’t give up any of the time I’ve spend with friends just because it wasn’t planned ahead. I wish I could explain how much of a blessing those times have been. Who would have thought a 20-minute drive or five-minute conversation could have such an impact?

Those times have helped me remember the freedom that we are called to live in with each other. When you make it a priority to build the relationships in your life and love others you experience that freedom. It isn’t like I have forgotten the importance of serving each other in love or even forgotten to do it. I guess I forgot about letting others do the same for me. I don’t know why that is so hard for me, but I struggle with it often. But the truth is that when you allow others to serve you, you experience that freedom as well. We are called to live in freedom! It isn’t just for a few people, and it isn’t a life to be lived alone. Everyone is called to that same freedom and to live it together. Amazing!

It is refreshing and fulfilling and energizing and a gazillion other things. Are you living in that freedom? If not, what is holding you back? If you are, don’t forget the joy that comes in sharing that freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment