Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Thoughts on puzzle pieces...


My second summer working at Michiana Christian Service Camp the staff spent a lot of time talking about puzzles and how each of us are like a piece. Our unofficial theme for the summer was about looking at the big picture. As a staff we learned about looking past ourselves and our piece to see how others around us connect to our piece and how all the pieces together are the body. Together all the pieces reveal the body of Christ. When all the pieces are in place the true beauty of the kingdom he created can be seen. It was challenging.

Today I came down to the camp for Tabi and Ryan’s wedding, two staff members. I walked out of the Peasley’s house and headed towards Kelly's when I noticed the smell of the air. I don’t know if anyone else here has ever noticed but the air at camp has a unique smell, especially in the evenings. I walked down the driveway and took in as many long sniffs as I could. I love that smell and I smiled as I was reminded how much I love this place. But my mood changed quickly because I’m not here anymore. There are a few reasons for that, none of which are bad, but it still makes me sad.

All of that happened in just a few short seconds and just about as quickly as they passed I learned something new about puzzles. The road to discovering that my time at camp has come to an end has been a long and hard one. It has been so hard to see God take me in a direction completely different from this ministry that I love so much. At first I thought there was something wrong with me and my puzzle piece was broken. I thought maybe God’s picture for the camp was changing and I wasn’t needed in the picture. But tonight I thought of this.

What if the big picture really is the body of Christ made up of different sections, which are different ministries? What if the overall picture doesn’t change? What if what changes are the pieces? As God molds each of us, what if he changes our shape to fit different parts of the puzzle at different times? For the last six summers maybe my piece has the right colors and lines and is shaped just the right way to fit into the section of MCSC. Maybe now, as I’ve grown, my piece has different colors and lines. Maybe my piece is shaped a little differently and now belongs to a different section of the puzzle. Nothing or no one is broken…just changing. The great thing about this is that it is still the same puzzle, the same body living for and serving the same Lord.

I write this and tell myself, “Duh Sarah! You already knew all of this.” But tonight it just makes more sense and hits home and is far more comforting. I’ve known my time at camp is over but I wasn’t ready for it to come so soon. And honestly I've just not been ready to let go of it. I'm still working on that. But when you look at it this way hope becomes more evident. Now the goal is to keep seeking after Christ and figure out where my piece now belongs. South Carolina…Indiana…California…Vestaburg (please not there Jesus!) I don’t know yet, but when I find out you better believe I’m moving there.

What color is your puzzle piece? What lines and figures are on it? What is it shaped like? What ministry is it that God could be molding you to be the perfect puzzle place for this season in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment