Saturday, May 05, 2007

Micah's Reminder

"He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
And to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

This year Fuller has spent their chapel services on studying this verse and I’ve discovered the messages have been good reminders.

Dr. Richard Mouw, the president of the seminary, talked about remembering our own need for justice and mercy. He talked about how God is just but he doesn’t stop there, he chooses to show mercy as well. I often wonder why it is so easy for me to forget that God is merciful and graceful. I deserve hell, yet God decided to show mercy and yet I can’t seem to show mercy to others. I needed to be reminded.

Dr. Doug Nason, did the second message focusing on the tone of Micah’s voice. Israel wanted to know what it was God wanted from them. So Micah tells them what they have already been told. Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God…DUH! I’m sure Micah was a little frustrated he had to tell them what thing they had already been told. Sure doing those three things aren’t always easy and don’t necessarily come naturally to us but it isn’t all that complicated either. But we forget over and over again, even the great Pharisees, scholars of the law, forget. I need to be reminded.

Unfortunately, I have to be reminded much more than I would like. The thing I have always loved about this passage is that it states it so simply. Micah doesn’t tell them to do all of these complicated, impossible things. I think the more we walk with God and remember what he has done for you, the easier it becomes to act justly and show mercy. Why? Because God is justice and mercy. The closer and more humbly we walk with God, the more we understand the depth of God’s justice and mercy. How easily I forget and lose sight of that! I need to be reminded.

No comments:

Post a Comment