Thursday, March 08, 2007

Comfort in friends...

Yesterday was a horrible day. One of the worst days, I’ve had in months. My drive home from Granger seemed like an eternity. I got home and plopped down on the couch, only to find I had absolutely no energy to get up…too much of everything. It was one of those days were you can’t sleep, your mind is consumed with so many thoughts and you have this nagging feeling of loneliness.

When it was time to get up this morning, I had maybe slept a total of two hours. I looked at the clock and said, “God, not today. I’m not sure I can do it all again today.” I made it to school…late. My morning classes didn’t go so well. I had to send a kid to the office during 6th grade music. My 7th graders are falling farther and farther behind. My juniors have had a few rough days, but they sure did make me laugh today. I was quick to thank God for that relief.

I had the last two periods off today because of a doctor’s appointment. It was a hard one but it went well. Sometimes it’s hard knowing there are several obstacles still on the path in front of me. I’m sure the next few months are going to have some really tough times, but I’ll make it. How? I’m not really sure, but I know a few things that are going to help.

For one, something I’ve learned in the last 48 hours is that God puts things in your path ONLY when you are ready to face it. He’ll never do it before your ready. Even better, He’ll never put it there and walk away. That alone brings a lot of comfort. There are reasons why I’m facing these challenges know and not two years ago.

And secondly, God surrounds you with faithful friends. At the spotlight dinner Monday night I was reminded of something in one of the videos. Mark said in one of his messages that, “No one is immune to pain. Surround yourself with people who pray.” I remember writing that in my journal and being thankful I was blessed to have friends like that. And on days like this, I am even more thankful.

I just spent some time hanging out with Jeffrey and Kelli. As we were sitting here laughing at old pictures and talking about life and all of the sudden I knew I would make it through because I have amazing friends that will walk with me and pray. Just the comfort of their company was encouraging. It makes me so sad to think that some people out there haven’t found friends like that and I pray God will put some in their paths quickly.

God help me be that friend. Teach me how to sit in the mud with those around me. Help me recognize those that are hurting and help me show them your love so they can understand how much they matter. Teach me to be like Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for you =). I hope you have some better days...okay a LOT of better days...TONS... =)

    You are a wonderful person!!!

    ReplyDelete