Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hitting Deer, Take 2

Last fall I hit a massive buck head-on and almost totaled my car. Since then I’ve been a little more on edge while driving through wooded areas. Last week when it started getting warmer, I thought about how awful it would be if I hit another deer. Guess what I did on Thrusday!

That’s right I hit another deer…well sort of. As I was driving on US 12 in Niles, to my right a deer leaped off the ground. I was really surprised to see him. He was small and dark and blended in very well with his surroundings. I immediately thought oh now there are more. I looked to the left and sure enough there are two deer. The one in the back started turning the other direction. The first one did not. She came running right at me. I instantly prayed, “God don’t let the airbags go off. I can’t afford that.” Then I realize she is going to run into the side of the car not the front. And as quickly as I realized that, I realized it wouldn’t be the front side of my car it was going to be the driver’s side window. Yes this deer was going to go through my window and hit me in the face. Oh no I thought as I prepare for the impact…BUT…at the very last second she leaps. Yes, she jumped over my car. Her hooves hit the top of my car and the only mark she left were some scratches on my windshield! It was crazy!!! What are the chances of that happening again? She was a beautiful deer and I hope she was okay. She was the darkest deer I’ve ever seen. She was almost black. I was VERY thankful nothing was damaged and that I’m not sore like the last deer encounter.

That was my last encounter with deer for the weekend. On my way home last night I saw over 35 deer in the 30 minute stretch across M-46. Some were far too close for comfort but not close enough to have to avoid hitting. On my trip, I also saw several squirrels, one black, a few raccoons and a collie that literally stood and looked both ways before crossing the street. It is a good thing I love nature and animals, otherwise I think I would have gone crazy. Seriously, the deer population is out of control here in Michigan. Where did they all come from?!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, talk about AMAZING! I am so glad that deer lept over your car and didn't hurt you! I was so scared to read that! But yippee! It didn't hit you!

    ReplyDelete