Monday, October 01, 2007

Bad Teacher Day


Days like today I like to call “Bad Teacher Days.” And after you have several Bad Teacher Days in a row, it is good to pop in the classic inspirational teacher movie. Today’s movie was The Freedom Writers. I love the movie. It makes me livid but I love it. These types of movies always raise so many questions for me. They are never easy questions. But since I love a challenge, they tend to give me the jump-start I need to head back to school the next day.

Tonight I don’t really feel recharged though. My heart just aches for my students. No ten-year-old kid should have to go through what some of these students have. Helping them understand that they matter and they are worth more than what the world says about them doesn’t happen overnight. If my students learn nothing else in my class this year, I want them to understand that they matter.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the movie.

Scott: It doesn’t matter if I want it. It doesn’t mean it is going to happen.
Erin: Why not?

Miep Gies: No no, no, young man, no. I am not a hero. I did what I had to do because it was the right thing to do. That is all. You know, we are all ordinary people. But even an ordinary secretary or a housewife or a teenager can, within their own small ways, turn on a small light in a dark room…You are the heroes. You are heroes everyday.

Erin: I finally realized what I’m supposed to do and I love it.


Update--
So I just had this thought. Everyday I watch students buy into the lies they are fed everyday and play down what amazing individuals they are. I know how frustrated I get and how much it breaks my heart. Imagine how God feels when I do the same thing. I am only the students' teacher; He is my creator!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment