Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Praying In Color

This week at Lifeline and Oasis, DC talked about prayer. He talked about how we all have this idea of how prayer is suppose to look or sound like. We've set a standard for ourselves and think that if we don't met that standard we haven't prayed correctly. The reality is that all God wants is for us to talk to him.

He also showed a picture that was given to him by a young child. He made the point that our prayers can look like a child's drawing that has color outside the lines and scribbles the look like nothing all over the page. It reminded me of a book I read last year called Praying in Color by Sybil MacBeth.

The book is the results of a math teacher who loves to doodle and was frustrated with the state of her prayer life. She decided combine prayer and doodling. She discovered a completely different way to pray and shared her experience and thoughts in this book.

I enjoyed the book but was a little skeptical about the whole thing. I decided to give it a shot and discovered growth in my prayer life I never thought could happen. If you are looking for something to stretch your idea of prayer, read the book.

1 comment: