Wednesday, May 14, 2008

the show must go on…part 2

I have decided that being a music educator is a very dangerous occupation. I can't count the number of bruises I received from breaking up fights and teaching live skills students while at Dickinson. This week alone I've sprained an ankle, got a blood blister and several large bruises. Seriously people, they don't tell you this in college.

Our concerts are done for the year. The choir has a very low key performances for a couple of our sixth grade classes. I was very proud of all of my classes. They performed well.
--> The band was solid but I know they have a whole lot more in them. They ended with a tougher piece and did a very nice job.
--> The choir was strong but mighty. They were presented with some very difficult circumstance and it didn't show during the concert. All their music was memorized!!!
--> My fifth and sixth graders nailed their performance. Unfortunately I had to cut their favorite pieces but they didn't complain once. They behaved better than any other group of general music students I've ever had. I can't tell you how happy this made me. We are talking about a group of around 100 students.
--> The jazz band rocked it out today. I did something very risky and counted off our last chart at the fastest tempo we've tried it at. The last time we did it that fast it was a little sloppy. But for some reason I was just feeling it faster today and they delivered VERY well. It was the cleanest they have ever played it.

So despite the injuries and other very frustrating events this week in the world of music education, I'm proud of my students. They have done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment