Monday, January 26, 2009

Thankful for the Valley

The last few days I've found myself being a little more thankful for the darkest valley I've ever had to walk through. It started almost five years ago when I was informed I was being let go from my dream job due to financial difficulties. For the last few days several of my friends have been dreading the same news.

There are so many mixed emotions. I've found myself breathing huge sighs of relief and celebrating as the text and e-mails come from friends who get to keep their jobs. But as other messages of friends hurting come, I've found myself experiences once again all the same emotions as that horrible day. But in the midst of the tears, pain and uncertainty I've seen something beautiful.

I've seen the church. I've seen friends rally together. I've seen grace lived out. I've begun to understand why I had to walk through the valley myself. It wasn't a pleasant part of my journey by any means. But looking back I'm not sure I would have grown as much as I have without that pain. I'm praying that in time my friends that find themselves in this valley today will one day look back and say the valley hurt but it was good.

I know I've posted this verse a hundred times but it sums up the valleys for me.
"Come, let us return to the Lord.
He has torn us to pieces;
now he will heal us.
He has injured us;
now he will bandage our wounds.
In just a short time he will restore us,
so that we may live in his presence.
Oh, that we might know the Lord!
Let us press on to know him.
He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn
or the coming of rains in early spring.”
Hosea 6:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment