Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Friendship

One of the Journey Class teachers this month is my friend Jason Miller. He is one of those friends who seems to be always teaching you something. So when I found out he was teaching a class on the friendships, I signed up quickly! I'm so glad I did!

Jason did an incredible job tonight. It was by far my favorite night of journey class so far. One of the major reasons I signed up for his class is because I really want to start being a better friend. J gave great practical steps to take as a friend. More importantly he nailed something I think too many people forget about. Friendship isn't just about having people around you nor is it all about what those friends do for you. Take a look and what else J had to share.


Class: Spiritual Practices: Friendships
Teacher: Jason Miller
When we talk about Christ-centered relationships we tend to refer to relationships that are static and often have an inward focus. We want those relationships to fit our needs. It becomes about acquiring people instead of building relationships.

Instead we should be building Christ-pursuing relationships. In these relationships we are moving towards Christ and trying to look more like Him and encouraging others to do the same. What does this type of friendship look like? It is a...
  • Prayerful Friendship - Invite the power of God into our lives and our friends' lives (James 5:15-18)
  • Confessional Friendship - Lay down our pride and shake of the things that pull us back (James 5:16)
  • Confrontational Friendship - Challenge the old identity (James 5:19-20)
  • Sacrificial Friendship - Stop being selfish and start doing (John 15:9-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment