Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Winter Blahs

I am not a fan of winter by any means. I can’t stand being cold. Obviously this is not my favorite time of year. After about two months of snow, the seasonal depression sets in and I’ve had all I can take of winter. It doesn’t take long for me to get tired and annoyed with little things. Here is a look at some of the things I’ve learned to do over the years to prevent the negative attitude from setting in for the rest of the winter.

FLOWERS: I buy flowers or a flowering plant to brighten up the apartment. Most people don’t know that I love flowers. Every spring I go see my parents so I can plant flowers. I will come during the summer just to work in the flower gardens. Right now you will a find a vase full of my favorite flowers, tulips!

PHOTOGRAPHS: Pictures always make me happy. I take the time to look through old photo albums or put new photos in albums. I haven’t done that since March of last year so this weekend I tackled several new albums.

NOTES OF ENCOURAGEMENT: I love to send notes of encouragement to people but it always seems to slip further down the list when concert season and the holidays come around. I make it a priority to pick up the cards and a pen and start writing. I always send them through the mail because no one gets real mail anymore.

ART: I have an art journal, crayons, markers, colored pencils, paint and all sorts of art supplies that I use to keep my hands busy. It is easy to plop in a chair curled up with a blanket and do nothing. Drawing or painting allows me to channel some of that penned up energy.

READ & PRAY: More important than anything else is stepping up the time I spend with Jesus. I tend to stop reading all books except for the Bible and books I’m using in small groups. There is nothing wrong with reading something else, I just know this is what I personally need to do.

What do you think? Are these things effective?
Are there other things you find more helpful?
Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment