Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Thoughtful Spot

Winnie the Pooh had a thoughtful spot. It is where he went to think about what he wanted to do for the day. I went to one of my favorite thoughtful spots yesterday and spent a few hours talking with God about my journey, trust and this weeks GSM-Middle school message. It was amazing.

I have lots of different places I go when I need to think. Each place has it's own distinct environment. Some places can get a little noisy. Some are so quiet it kind of scares me. Some are close to my apartment and some are hours away. The thoughtful place I choose to hang out is determined by the kind of thinking that needs to be done. Do I need to write? Grade papers? Write lesson plans? Listen to God? Pray for friends?

To some it seems a little insane but it works for me. Here are a few reasons why.
  • Eliminates Distractions - When I'm at home all I can think about it what needs to be done around the apartment. It overwhelms me and I get nothing done.
  • Different Environment - Sometimes just the different surroundings help the creative juices flow. When I'm staring at the same walls in my apartment or office it scenery never changes.
  • Simplicity - Several of my favorite thinking spots are out in the middle of no where. When I'm surrounded by God's creation in the middle of the woods or a field, life slows down. There is no cell phone reception or internet. The fast-paced culture disappears and everything just seems a little simpler.
  • It's a secret! - People can't come interrupt me if they don't know where to find me. There are two or three thoughtful spots that people know about, the rest are top secret. I intend on keeping it that way so don't ask!
I think everyone needs a good thoughtful spot or two. If you don't have one, you should find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment