Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day 20 of 30

Two-thirds of the way through the challenge! I have to admit I'm impressed I've done as well as I have. I just finished reading chapter 16 of The Shack. There are some great thoughts on forgiveness in this chapter.

Forgiveness is a tough issue, often because of all these preconceived ideas we get about what is suppose to happen when you forgive. Just a couple years ago I found myself asking many of the same questions Mack asked in this chapter. I know these quotes are long, but I could relate to each of them.

Forgiveness is not about forgetting, Mack. It is about letting go of another person's throat. (page 224)

Forgiveness is first for you, the forgiver, to release you from something that will eat you alive; that will destroy your joy and your ability to love fully and openly. (page 225)

I already told you the forgiveness does not create relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established. (page 225)

Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive. But should they finally confess and repent, you will discover a miracle in your own heart that allows you to reach out and begin to build between you a bridge of reconciliation. And sometimes--and this may seem incomprehensible to you right now--that road may even take you to the miracle of fully restored trust. (page 226)

Son, you may have to declare your forgiveness a hundred times the first day and the second, but the third day will be less and each day after, until one day you realize that you have forgiven completely. (page 227)

No comments:

Post a Comment