Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More than a teacher...

Teachers where so many hats. To name a few counselor, judge, mediator, disciplinarian, coach and obviously teacher.

Yesterday I was able to wear my teaching hat most of the day. My students were surprisingly focused for a Monday. They responded really well to everything I asked them to do. We accomplished some great things in each rehearsal. I love days like this. However, when I leave school on these days I'm wiped out more so than any other day.

Some days you find most of your time is spent wearing hats other than your teaching hat. That was today. I spent a large part of my day talking through conflicts with students. It gave me the opportunity to encourage some students one-on-one and remind them how valuable they are. I love days like this because this is why I teach. On days like this I leave school emotionally drained.

Every once in a while I get the privilege of putting on the youth minister hat at school. Today was also one of those days. I had a student walk up to me before class started and asked me if I would by him a cool Bible like one of the other students in class because his was old and he couldn't understand it. Another student had gotten himself in trouble and I pulled him aside during lunch to talk. This is the same student who brings his Bible to class and reads it. During the conversation he told me about Abraham, Jacob and what he has been reading in Genesis. A third student is now upset that the others are bringing their Bibles to school and he hasn't. These are by far my favorite days!!!! Amazing conversations all initiated by students.

Now it is Tuesday night and I've had two good exhausting day. Jesus, give me the energy to make it through the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment