Monday, August 18, 2008

Part of the job

I just finished copying more handbooks in the office. As I left I was greeted by one of my students sitting in the chair that usually means you are in trouble. I said good morning. He knew what was coming next. Before I could ask if he was in trouble he said, "I'm here to talk about my house burning down." I just stood speechless as I looked at the fear in his eyes.

He lives in the apartment building that burned down this weekend. I heard it on the news and immediately started praying for the students I knew lived there. I wasn't prepared to watch and listen to his story though. He was home alone, sleeping when the fire broke out. I'm so thankful he made it out okay.

I'm trying to imagine what that would be like and I can't. My heart breaks for this kid. He went through so much last year and this his how is new year starts. You get attached to your students. You laugh and cry with them. It is part of the job you can never be fully prepared for.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    your so great. i love your heart and i am so happy to be serving students with you. you inspire me alot.
    alison s.

    ReplyDelete